Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Generate multiple output excels on a existing excel

yc151
7 - Meteor

hi, all.

I have a quick questions. i have a existing master template excel with tab 1, tab 2 contains data (with excel formulas). Right now I have a workflow to produce multiple output excel files to populate tab 3 data. The output  files have unique tab name and unique excel file name. My questions is how do I have Alteryx generate the output files on the existing template excel? Or How do I add the master template tabs on those output excel files.  Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@yc151 
Just my experience for your reference.

• The formula in your template must be outside of range for Data to be output. otherwise it will be overwriten.
  • Run Command Tool may be used to copy the template Tab to a New tab.
  • Block until done tool maybe is necessary to control the output sequence, to prevent the target file being locked.
MichelleL
Alteryx
Alteryx

@yc151 I think all you need to do in the Output tool is choose the existing Filename & create a new tab name.  It'll give you a warning that the file already exists and do you want to overwrite it, say 'yes'.  Then, on the Specify a Sheet pop-up, enter your new tab name.  And finally, make sure "Create New Sheet" option is chosen in the configuration panel.  You do NOT want "Overwrite File".

MichelleL_0-1645078782755.png

Test it out & let me know if this works for you!

yc151
7 - Meteor

@MichelleL  hi Michell. I tried and did not work. Maybe I did not fully understand what you mean... I attached a mini-workflow which will produce  multiple excels files with unique states name as file name and one tab with unique states name as tab name within each files. I was trying to have Alteryx produce it directly on Master templates file(attached below too)  so I will have multiples files that have tab 1 (existed in template excel already) and unique tab 3 (unique states detail). Thanks!

MichelleL
Alteryx
Alteryx

@yc151 Hi!  I've taken your workflow & added 3 options:

1. Save each state out to its own Excel file without a Master tab

2. Save each state to a tab in 1 Excel file that preserves the Master tab

3. Save each state out to its own Excel file with a preserved Master tab in each file (I filtered to CA, but you can remove that).  With the current design, this requires having an Excel file already created with the Master tab for each state (just a duplicate file with a mildly different file name, you'll need to do this before removing the filter).  You can take this a step further if needed and have Alteryx create these Master files first (with the first tab) and then have it create the 2nd tab (for state).  You'd need to use a Block Until Done tool to ensure the file saves do not crash into each other.

Hope this helps!  Happy Friday!!!

Labels