Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Generate Tabs in existing excel file with specific field

Learner09
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

I am managing a folder containing over 100 files, each with distinct filenames. While the files vary in content, they all contain a column labeled "city." I am tasked with creating a process, be it a macro or a workflow, that navigates through each file, extracts the city data, and generates tabs based on the unique city names found within each file.

For instance, let's consider a file named "2550-AB." The process would delve into this file, identify the city column, and partition the data into tabs corresponding to the distinct city names present in the file. In the case of "2550-AB," which contains records for Moscow, Nampa, and some with blank entries in the city column, the resulting tabs would be "Moscow," "Nampa," and "Blank," each housing data pertinent to its respective city.

I've attached a file to provide a clearer understanding of the task at hand. Any guidance or assistance in devising this macro or workflow would be greatly appreciated

6 REPLIES 6
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Learner09 what would be the output file names for each of the above files? keep the same name with different tabs for each city?

Learner09
8 - Asteroid

@binuacs yes file names should be the same with adding new tabs with city names and consist data according to the cities.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Learner09 The attached workflow writes all the output to a seperate a folder named output with the same input file name

image.png

Learner09
8 - Asteroid

@binuacs it kicks off the error at the output tool

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Learner09 can you try now

Learner09
8 - Asteroid

@binuacs Thank you, I fixed the previous one, and now it working!

Labels