Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Generate Rows Error

davidwwyche
6 - Meteoroid

Below is my data (all records, limited columns for privacy)  from a text input.

davidwwyche_0-1672931660534.png

I need to create buckets ('t') for the qty in each layer.  I want to do these buckets in increments of 500.  So layer 10 should only have 1 bucket, with value of 55.49. Layer 9 would have 3 buckets: a 500 bucket, a 1000 bucket, and a 1334.52 bucket.  

I can't figure out the generate rows tool to achieve this:

davidwwyche_1-1672931840875.png

davidwwyche_2-1672931852998.png

It shows the error message: "The Value did not change after the Loop Expression" and this is my output:

davidwwyche_3-1672931911512.png

If I filter for a specific layer (1 row flowing into the generate rows tool), it does appear to work - but won't replicate for the entire data set, for example filtering for layer 1:

davidwwyche_4-1672931979659.png

Just for context, our goal here is to use the generate rows tool to model LIFO inventory accounting.

5 REPLIES 5
FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Try changing your condition expression to [qty] > [t] ?

davidwwyche
6 - Meteoroid

I've tried that as well - it runs without an error, but I don't get the last bucket in each layer I need - the one that maxes out the layer, see below:

davidwwyche_0-1672932675095.png

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Here is a slightly hacky way of doing it

FinnCharlton_0-1672933815032.png

FinnCharlton_1-1672933864786.png

Condition Expression = [qty] >= t and [t]>0

Loop Expression = if [qty]=t then t*-1 elseif t+500 > [qty] then (t+([qty]-t)) else [t]+500 endif

davidwwyche
6 - Meteoroid

That works - thanks!  A few follow-up questions for you:

How/why are you sometimes calling " [t] " vs " t ", I would have thought you always need use " [t] " convention?

And what does " t*-1 " mean?  I've never seen that?

Again, really appreciate your help - haven't seen that kind of syntax before and wouldn't have figured that out

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

For some reason the generate rows tool allows you to call fields without the square brackets. t is the same as [t].

t*-1 is multiplying t by -1, i.e. making it negative. This then breaks the [t]>0 requirement of the conditional expression, so the row is not shown and generate rows moves on. Note this will work as long as there are no negative values of [qty] in your data (which I assume there shouldn't be).

If this helped please mark as a solution!

Labels