Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Flow to check if record does not exist in table, to import the record in?

ninosshiba
6 - Meteoroid

I have a table (created by combining a set of Excel files in a folder) that has a column called call_id. I have created a separate table in SSMS that is stored in a database that has a column for call_id as well. I want to create a flow via Alteryx Designer that would check if a call_id record does not exist in my first table, and if it doesn't, then import it in the second table (in the database). How would I go about creating this conditional check with the second table being in a database? I am new to Alteryx and am still learning the various connectors.

6 REPLIES 6
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @ninosshiba - It looks like all you need is Join:

ArtApa_0-1636057123987.png

Link to the documentation: https://help.alteryx.com/20213/designer/join-tool 

ninosshiba
6 - Meteoroid

What kind of join do you recommend?

ninosshiba
6 - Meteoroid

I don't think a join is helpful here. My first table, call it Table A, has all records so far. Table B is currently empty. I want the workflow to check to see if a record does not exist already in Table B from Table A, and if it doesn't, then bring it into Table B. If the record from Table A already exists in Table B, then it wouldn't be imported again into Table B. I don't see how a join would help.

kenkie
6 - Meteoroid

Hello @ninosshiba , try this one. @ArtApa is correct, join helps...Ü

kenkie_0-1636393953757.png

ninosshiba
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you. Table A is also made up of several duplicate records (since each day a new file is uploaded for the data, but the previous file is not overwritten). How do I add a check to check for records from Table A that already exist in Table B, to update the records in Table B with the LATEST data from Table A for each record?

For example, call_id 123 already exists in Table B. In Table A, another file was uploaded that has more recent data for this call_id. How do I update call_id 123 in Table B with the LATEST file date for this record from table A? Hopefully that makes sense.

kenkie
6 - Meteoroid

add summarized and change the anchor from joins. 

kenkie_0-1636399611605.png

Labels