Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Fixed with text file - Import file

DSARANYA
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have a query on importing text file in Alteryx, While importing the text, I selet the option "Read it as a Fixed width text file" ... Do we need to select the separator  manually everytime, whenever we import the file? or Do we have any automized option? 

2 REPLIES 2
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi@DSARANYA 

My favorite way to handle text file is to utilize Blob Input tool like this. In the most of cases, we are not always sure of having the same width text file.

This WF read text file as BLOB, and convert it into text file by Blob Convert Tool, and split to rows by Text to Column tool.

Doing so enables us to handle text file having unknow width much easier. Please try it out the attached WF.

image.png

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This is very useful! Thank you @gawa san for sharing. I usually use fixed width txt files and then I save the settings as a separate file. But you are right, there are some instances whereby end users upload new types of txt files with different lengths, causing errors.

I will study your workflow more closely. Cheers!!

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Labels