Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fixed Decimal still shaving off ending zero

KateC
8 - Asteroid

Hello! This used to work for me so I don't know what's going on.

My input is a list of loan balances, all amounts in my input file have two decimal places. Alteryx assigns data type Double to all the balances, which wipes out all zeroes after the decimal so I used a Select tool to set the column to Fixed Decimal (19.2) yet my results still come out with ending zeros missing. What's up with that? Kinda defeats the purpose.

KateC_0-1653062704742.png

KateC_1-1653062715760.png

6 REPLIES 6
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @KateC,

If you change the type over to String the fix decimals will auto format with the additional .00

IraWatt_0-1653063225569.png

Alteryx must have decided that the additional .00 made more sense to remove when looking at the data as a numeric type

KateC
8 - Asteroid

I'm getting the same result.  If Alteryx is assigning the numeric data type and removing the zeroes upon input, then changing to a string won't put the zeros back. Is there a way to get Alteryx to stop anticipating and just pull in everything as a string?

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@KateC your input file is in which format is it .xlsx or csv?

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@KateC Inputting as CSV would force Alteryx to input your data as string initally

KateC
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @IraWatt! I'm so used to Excel everything I didn't even consider CSV. I'll go that route.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Awesome @KateC ! glad it worked :) 

Labels