Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter Tool Bug

Joe_McCoy
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow that runs quarter over quarter comparisons which uses 9 different date filters starting from the constant user date. I have found an issue where the filter tool using >= will skip the first day of a quarter (4/1, 7/1) whereas the <= will not skip the quarter start date. I have attached screen shots of the input and both filters and results. I have also attached this example workflow.

Joe_McCoy_0-1670878357178.png

3 REPLIES 3
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Joe_McCoy 

I am able to run your workflow and experience the same issue. 

Can you split up the filter expression and create another date column via a formula tool? (See workflow).

I have attached another method that you can follow for the filter to function properly. 

Hope this helps.

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Joe_McCoy 

I feel its a quirk of trying to filter between two different data types, Date and DateTime. For example see below:

DavidSkaife_0-1670880175226.png

Original Field - the DateTime calculation and it's result, note it has the time element included

DateTime field - conversion of CUR QTR CLOSE_DATE to a DateTime format

Less Than and Greater than fields - the original filter test between Original and CUR QTR CLOSE_DATE

Less Than and Greater Than Test 2 fields - the same filter but this time compaing the DateTime field to the Original, note the Greater Than works.

If you convert the CUR QTR CLOSE_DATE to a DateTime type, or, convert the DateTimeAdd calculation to DateTime (using ToDateTime) then it works as expected.

Joe_McCoy
8 - Asteroid

@DavidSkaife 

Thank you for the simple explanation. I am still a little fuzzy on why the <= was working correctly and not the >= but wrapping the month subtraction in a ToDate() solved the issue.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels