Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Extracting numeric values for calculation

CraigC_RG
6 - Meteoroid

I have attached the dataset. I am trying to extract the number of vehicle spaces and the number of bicycle spaces, to then calculate the difference between the total number of vehicle and bicycle spaces available. 

I had a go using the formula tool (GetWord) function to add 2 new columns then subtracting the 2 columns, then using the Summarize tool sum up the total. Is there an easier way?

Also, is the GetWord function the easiest method to extract the numeric values?

7 REPLIES 7
nagakavyasri
12 - Quasar

Could you attach the datasheet or zip the workflow?

CraigC_RG
6 - Meteoroid

Hi - I have tried attaching the datasheet. 

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @CraigC_RG , I would use the RegEx tool's Parse function to do this:Screenshot 2023-06-26 101124.png

Hope this helps!

CraigC_RG
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you. I haven't been using Alteryx that long and keep seeing the Regex expressions. I will use the support materials to try to get my head around it. If you don't mind me asking, have you got any suggestions/ tips to help me do that?

CraigC_RG
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @FinnCharlton I just noticed a slight issue in the Parsing tool of your workflow. In the "Detail" column, if there is only null value i.e. Record 21, then both new columns display a null value. As a result the totals are incorrect. Any suggestions as to how to replace the null values in the Detail column with "0"?

CraigC_RG
6 - Meteoroid

Sorry I meant Record 28

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

@CraigC_RG very good point, have amended the RegEx to avoid that:Screenshot 2023-06-26 141245.png

Labels