Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Executing an Iterative Function in Python

aaronindm
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to pass parameter to, and execute, a function within the Python tool.  It is actually a function within a function.  this is a specialized IRR calculation (it differs from the built in Alteryx IRR calculation).  The code was "converted" from a VB custom Excel function (works fine there)

What I don't know is how to properly execute the function.  Seems like Alteryx makes an attempt before erroring out

A simplified version is attached

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

HI @aaronindm,

I'd be lying if I said that I understand what you're doing. But I have got it to run without error. The issue, I think, is that data is read in and out of Atleryx as Pandas DataFrames, therefore you need to a few extra steps to extract the data from the DataFrame before you can use it in your function.

Take a look at the attached.

aaronindm
8 - Asteroid

@PhilipMannering Thanks you for the reply but I am not seeing the additional code you added, can you call that out specifically for me?  The Python tool code from the one I uploaded looks to be the same as the one you uploaded.

There is likely some nuance that I am missing

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hmm.... so this puzzled me a bit, but I think what has happened is that both workflows are pointing to the same folder for the the .ipynb file (the jupyter notebook). So updating the python tool in one "Becker_IRR_4.yxmd" will also change the python tool in "python tool troubleshooting.yxmd". So it looks like both are the same.

But what I changed was the comments, the location of data after Alteryx.read() and adding the result to a DataFrame before writing out in the final cell,

PhilipMannering_0-1617034552823.png

Now you get an output (0.003044), whereas before you got an error.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey @aaronindm ,

See the Python code for multiple rows attached.

aaronindm
8 - Asteroid

Wow thank you so much for this - works like a charm!

Labels