Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Excel to XML

KamenRider
10 - Fireball

Hi guys,

I seeking you assistance if you have any sample how we can convert excel to xml. I tried searching but I can't find one I can understand.

Hoping for your kind assistance on this matter.

thanks,

Kamen

41 REPLIES 41
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @KamenRider 

Your csv import configuration looks ok, when i mirror it on my side the output looks fine:

DavidSkaife_0-1669628526146.png

It possibly could be due to the data coming in, i.e the structure of the data in the csv file itself.

As @apathetichell mentioned there is only so much we can do without seeing the data, or even screenshots, to help identify and fix for you. I'd echo their advice and maybe reach out to your Alteryx Rep for support and ideas.

KamenRider
10 - Fireball

Hi @DavidSkaife @apathetichell 

Thanks for the continued assistance. I've created a csv file wherein you may try to run if it provides a xml format as output. Appreciate if you can share a screenshot for my reference. I do hope it will help resolve the issue I am encountering. I have also attached a sample of xml format I would like to see if I click the output file to see the xml.

Thanks and looking forward for your response.

Kamen

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @KamenRider 

Please find attached an updated workflow for you to try, this has been saved as a package as it includes your sample data. I've also attached the output file i'm getting to allow you to compare.

Note: you won't get the indenting and so forth but the file should still be able to be imported provided all the tags are correct etc

If this is still not working then please share a screenshot of the xml that you need to upload, as the one you have just shared differs to one you shared at the start of this thread. Additionally it would be good to see a screenshot of what you're getting as an output file as well.

KamenRider
10 - Fireball

hi @DavidSkaife 

I opened the xml file you provided in a browser and below is the results. I am not sure if his is ok because I can see all the tagging in the wordpad. This is not the same in our xml file because it is viewable when you open it in the browser. I haven't open yet the workflow since I am working outside our system. Will let you know more later.

KamenRider_0-1669649788127.png

Thanks and looking forward for your thoughts on this.

Kamen

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @KamenRider 

That is caused by a mismatch between the opening tag <Loans> and the closing tags </Loan> which i've based off the screenshot you posted at the start:

DavidSkaife_0-1669653153355.png

It's erroring as there is no corresponding ending for the Loans tag, whereas the remainings tags are call Loan, without the s.

1. Can you advise if this is the correct format for the xml, if not what should the format be - an example of the actual xml to be loaded would be great.
  2. The actual data is one long xml string, which differs to the current ouput, is that the right format?
  3. where does the header line come from, which contains the info on statusdate, codec, and identification?
KamenRider
10 - Fireball

HI @DavidSkaife 

First I apologize since as I look the results in our end seems quite different. I mislook the format. I edited it in a notepad and was able to run it in the browser. Please take a look at it. Is it possible to modify the workflow to have this kind of output?

Here's the xml format in the brower.

KamenRider_0-1669714787511.png

The Global Options part is automatic when run in the system. I think it is the person who entered the data.

Attaching the xml file.

Looking forward for your continued assistance.

thanks,

Kamen

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @KamenRider 

I've re-built the workflow from the ground up, and the output I'm getting seems to match your requirements.

I've attached the package and the output for you to review. Let me know how it works for you!

KamenRider
10 - Fireball

Hi @DavidSkaife 

I'm happy that is running using the browser and thanks, however upon checking I missed to something. Please see screenshot below.

I missed the "<LoanCustomData"

KamenRider_0-1669732757575.png

I tried adding in it using notepad but I run it, I can no longer see the results in the browser. Would you know what went wrong? I think this the last thing I missed and everything is ok.

Please advised.

Kamen

KamenRider
10 - Fireball

Hi @DavidSkaife 

Sorry, I also notice some corrections in the results in the browser.

Should be >> <GlobalOptions EmailCompletionMessageTo="jamesdier@yahoo.com" ImportOption="Ignore"/>
<Addresses></Addresses>

KamenRider_0-1669733282568.png

I checked that workflow and was correctly written. Not sure why is the output different.

Please advise

Kamen

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @KamenRider 

Will it be because you don't have the end tag of "/LoanCustomData>"? If you can confirm and i can add it in for you and reshare the updated workflow.

Your second question - i'd left the header as is so that will already be there :)

Labels