Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel dropdown into alteryx

jpmungo
5 - Atom

Hi All ! I would like to create a dropdown with options in alteryx. I know we have a "dropdown" option in the designer but I'm not able to reflect it accordingly. Image of the dropdown below. Is this possible?

jpmungo_0-1645618897010.png

6 REPLIES 6
Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @jpmungo,

If you right click on the "drop down" tool icon in the tool palette and click "Open Example" you'll get a worked example of how to use the tool.

Ben_H_0-1645627700788.png

Following the instructions there you should be able to get your drop down working in an analytical app or macros interface.

Regards,

Ben

jpmungo
5 - Atom

Thanks Ben! It was useful, although I was not able to set the dropdown. I'm absolutely new to the tool and did this first flow yesterday. I will try to dig further. 

Thanks.

JP

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@jpmungo Maybe if you can share a bit about your use case we can help? Are you building a macro or an app?

jpmungo
5 - Atom

Hi Luke, sure. I do not know the difference around building a macro vs an app. Basically the output is an excel file with a number of columns, and in one of them I want to provide the user this dropdown where the same can select an option accordingly. Options from the dropdown below:

Convert to FTE
Convert to Managed Service
Offboard FTC - replace with new FTC due to tenure
Offboard FTC - replace with new FTC with RTH
Offboard FTC - role no longer required
Offboard FTC - transition work to existing FTE
Offboard FTC - transition work to new FTE
Retain as FTC (no end date)

My issue/concern, is that I do not know how to add this dropdown in one of the columns of the output. I can provide the output if needed.

Thanks !

JP

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @jpmungo 

To be clear, you want the resulting excel output to have a dropdown in a cell? That's not really supported functionality of the output tool. The dropdown tool in alteryx is to facilitate interfaces in apps/macros. 

Is this list of options static or dynamically generated in the workflow? If static, I'd suggest outputting to a template that already has the dropdown in it. If dynamic, you can output it to a separate sheet of a template and have the dropdown pre-configured in a template to look at that output range for the options.

There are plenty of topics here on how to output to a template, here's one below.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Output-into-existing-excel-template/m-...

jpmungo
5 - Atom

Thanks a lot Luke !

Labels