Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel Output Issue

arzed0305
6 - Meteoroid

Good day

I would like to ask some advice about this issue I am encountering after using "Blob Convert" tool.

The Blob convert tool was used to convert Base64 text back to UTF-8. However, when I pass the data to an output tool and use .xlsx file type it always results to a corrupted excel file. So I did test other file types and it is only accepting .xlsb file type as an output. I did test to out the data before and after the blob convert tool. There were no errors before it passed through the blob convert tool but it had an error after. So it seems that the data is requiring me to use .xlsb only after being processed by the blob convert tool.

Is there a work around on this so I can use .xlsx as my output?

or is there another way to convert Base64 Encoded Binary Data to it's original state without using Blob Convert Tool?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
apathetichell
19 - Altair

If you have a base 64 encoded .xlsb file which are you are converting back to blob - yes it must be the original file format you encoded it as. If you originally encoded an .xlsx file - and then then send it back to blob - it should be an .xlsx. You can't turn a .pdf into an .xlsx using the blob tool. It doesn't convert file types.

arzed0305
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for responding.

The blob convert configuration is this....

1st Blob Convert Tool: Convert Base64 encoded Binary Data to a Blob Field

2nd Blob Convert Tool: Convert Blob Field to Unicode UTF-8 Code Page

This converts the Base64 data of one column to it's original state.

However, when the data passes through this Blob Convert Tool, it is now requiring me to use .xlsb only as my output and I need to use .xlsx as my output file.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

I just tested this and it worked as it should work. 1) I put the locatin of an xlsx file in my text input tool. 2) I use blob input to take this path in. This is now a blob. 3) I convert this using blob convert to base 64 encoded binary data 4) I convert back from Base 64 encoded binary data to a blob. 5) I give it a new file name. 6) I blob output to that formula. This correctly generates an .xlsx file. Can you share your workflow and sample files - you are doing something wrong.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

update? have you confirmed the underlying blob was .xlsb?

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels