Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Excel Import where the starting row changes

Julia_Mathew
5 - Atom

I have a xlsx report format where the first x rows are parameters of the report, date ran, who ran it etc and then there is a blank row and then the headers and data start.

I can import this excel into Alteryx by setting it start the data on row 10 or wherever the header row starts. However, I'm trying to make the workflow more dynamic so if someone adds an extra filter, which would push the data down, or removes a filter, so it would pull the data up, Alteryx would just automatically adjust without me needing to modify the "start import on row" line. Also, the number of columns may change and the column header names also may change. 

The way our workflows are set up i cannot modify the workflow every time to run it and hence looking for an macro that can be applied to existing workflows with this sort of excel files. 

Wondering if there is a way without using an Analytical app to pick the right starting row 

6 REPLIES 6
ScottLewis
9 - Comet

There are a few ways to approach this, depending on what parts of the file you can rely on.

For example: 

Is Book Name always going to be a column header? Always the first header?

Will there always be one or more blank rows between the filters and the data?

ScottLewis
9 - Comet

Example workflow attached that does the job if both assumptions about Book Name are valid.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Julia_Mathew another option using multi-row tool

image.png

Julia_Mathew
5 - Atom

No that is the issue - book name is not always going to be the column header or even the first column but there will always be a blank row after the report parameters and before the header row starts. 

ScottLewis
9 - Comet

Try this version. This is what I posted before but modified so that instead of looking for a specific value it is looking for the second block of data. Should work whether or not there are blank rows above the report criteria. 

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @Julia_Mathew 

The exhaustive method may be foolish but effective.

[F1] NOT IN ("Report Parameters","Report Name","Layout Name","Report Submitted By","Report Run Start Date","Report Submission ID","Report Parameters","Event Created Date","Number of Rows","Report Run End Date")

录制_2024_06_11_10_48_57_691.gif

Labels