Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Error Handling

Polite123
8 - Asteroid

Hi Team,

Is it possible in anyways to translate Alteryx Error messages into meaningful messages so that it becomes user readable.

For instance, if there is a file named calendar with two columns Months and year in it.

If the user forgets to enter appropriate year in the year column, then it should throw an error like "Calendar file has missing year record". In simple words-Missing column in which file must be clearly specified.

Any help in terms of simple workflow will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Polite123 ,

Yes, you can use the Test and Message tools to build your own logical checks and alert you when they do or do not occur. In your example, you could build a logical test to check if the year and/or month have been populated, and that they are in the correct format. If not, the Message tool can alert you and stop the workflow (or whatever action you want). These tools allow you to build your own logical checks and are used for this purpose.

You can also use the Error Message tool from the Interface section to build an error message to deployed in apps.

Here are some links to the tool mastery pages for these tools:

Message Tool

Test Tool

Error Message Tool

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Polite123
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mceleavey ,

Thanks for your reply.

But could you please help me to build simple workflow for this if possible?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Polite123 

My 2021 virtual Inspire sessions was "Error Messages are Data. Data is Good" and showcase usage of the Test, Message, and Error Message tools. Here's a link to the session discussion, which includes attached resources of the presentation and workflow:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Inspire-Buzz/Inspire-2021-Error-Messages-are-Data-Data-is-Good/td-p...

I thought the video recording was saved somewhere too,. but I can't find it at the moment. 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Polite123 ,

I built a quick and simple workflow showing the message tool:

mceleavey_0-1633621610625.png

This gives the error:

mceleavey_1-1633621631339.png

I would definitely recommend watching the presentation by @CharlieS as mentioned above.

Hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Polite123
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @mceleavey 

This helped a lot:)

Polite123
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @CharlieS ,

I will definitely watch these videos to learn about these interesting tools.:)

Labels