Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically pick input files based on common numeric field.

Saravanan13
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

I have an ask where multiple files will be dropped to a folder in the below format, Alteryx workflow should pick a pair (Example:1234Tax and 1234App) at a time as an input and continue processing the pair and provide an output then the other pair should be picked for processing and provide output. Can anyone assist on this.

1234Tax,1234App,5678Tax,5678App,1111Tax,1111App

5 REPLIES 5
kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

Hi @Saravanan13 ,

I would recommend using a formula tool to construct the file path for each "batch" of files and then using that field in the output tool. Here's an example (below & attached). Does this get you what you need?

workflow_screenshot.png

formula_screenshot.pngoutput_screenshot.png

ChrisWaspe
9 - Comet

Hi @Saravanan13 . @kelsey_kincaid  has pretty much got you there. Also take a look at the Directory Tool, which will read in all files in a directory. You can then filter by date or name, and then use the Dynamic Input tool to read in the files you want and continue your analysis from there. Please feel free to reach out if you need more info

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Saravanan13 One method is to read the file in batch using batch macros. The first batch macro group the required files and the second batch macro read the records from these files. You can write your further steps inside the second batch macro. Attaching a sample workflow for your reference

image.png

Saravanan13
8 - Asteroid

Hello Chrish,

I tried the same but the schema is slightly different its not uniform across all files. 

Saravanan13
8 - Asteroid

I tried the same but the schema(Column names) is slightly different its not uniform across all files.

Labels