Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic app name update

NiklasHA
6 - Meteoroid

Dear community. 

I currently have the problem lacking of dynamic input changes in my workflow. The situation is the following. I want to run an app where the user simply has to click for the columns he need.  Input data (excel file) will always come from differently strucutred excel files with different headers.

Currently, without opening and run the workflow, the app boxes do not change based on the different excel input. The boxes names stay the same. For example one excel input shows the columns "Product;Sales;Quantity". The next input gives me Sales Force; Cars, Residual value" but without running the workflow there will be still the names of the headers from the previous input. 

Is there any solution that the app dynamically changes together with the input without opening running the workflow? 

Thank you in advance 

Niklas 

6 REPLIES 6
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @NiklasHA ,

To do this you would need to chain two alteryx applications. One to read the files correctly and the second to do the selection.

This is the only way I can think of. To chain two apps open the 'Interface Designer Palette' an check the box with 'On Success' Run another analytic App.

Regards

NiklasHA
6 - Meteoroid

Hello @afv2688.

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Can you maybe elaborate a bit more on that, for me it somehow does not work. I attached a sample workflow. I know the browse file does not work in that case but i hope through this the idea will be clear. I bascially want to browse a file (which can be either input A or B - both have different headers as explained in my question below) and the app boxes should dynamically change based on the input without running the workflow. 

Can you think of any solution or do i need another tool to do that? 

Thank you in advance. 

NiklasHA
6 - Meteoroid
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @NiklasHA,

This should give you and idea of how it works what I meant.

You can update the field names on the app and see it yourself.

The main App you should launch is the 'New Workflow3'

If you have more questions please let me know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

NiklasHA
6 - Meteoroid

Hello @afv2688 , 

Thank you, that works. However, since I have several apps interacting with each other, the input is not going to be transferred into the next app module. 

So for example, i get my sales table through the workflow you just helped me with, and now this should be transferred into the next app to go further with different analysis. Is there a tool to transfer finished input from module 1 to the start of module two? 

Kind regards 

Niklas 

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @NiklasHA ,

You could create an output on module 1 which could be the input for module 2. This way, the data is kept in a "temp" file which would only be used as a temporary holder of your data.

I don't know it this is what you mean.

Regards

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels