Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Debugging Batch Macros Using a Text Input for Control Parameter. Is it possible?

fgeorgejr
5 - Atom

I am currently trying to debug a batch macro and not understanding the interface designer view.  When in interface designer view, it is lost on me how to use a text Input control to supply the macro with values to test while debugging.  In test view, all of the fields are blank and I am unable to select anything.  My control parameter at the bottom is just an empty text box, how do I supply it with a text input control with multiple columns and rows to test my batch macro? Also lost on what to do with the app values feature because my text input is not in the format asked for. Very confused and need a batch macro with control parameters debugging walkthrough (step by step). Thanks for your help....anyone that has the time.

fgeorgejr_0-1645339755986.png

4 REPLIES 4
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @fgeorgejr 

Can you attach a sample workflow as well as your inputs.  It will be much easier to make a modification to an existing workflow as opposed to  trying to create a sample from scratch.

From test screen shot, you should be able to select values from any of the defined macro inputs.  Once you have value selected for all of them, click the Open Debug button.  This will open a new tab with the macro configured as if you directly entered the values into the macro inputs.  Run the workflow in the new tab to see the results.

danilang_2-1645367935957.png

For your control parameter question, just add a text input tool in the calling workflow with a value that's correct for the control param.  Connect that to the question mark input on the macro

Dan

fgeorgejr
5 - Atom

Thanks for your response.  To clarify, in the picture you've shown, the control parameter is a text box containing a single value (34).

fgeorgejr_0-1645377624428.png

What I'm seeking to do is input multiple values in this text box instead of a single value.  That is the core of my problem: in the test view, I would like to set the control parameter to gain its test values from a text input that has a single field/column with multiple values instead of a single value. Can this be done? I also notice that in debug mode, you cannot group by the control parameter (likely related to the fact it wants a single value?).

I know how to do this when running the actual workflow-insert a text input in the workflow-but I'm attempting to do this in the debug mode where the question mark for macros does not show up.

(working on uploading a sample). Thanks, again.

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

@fgeorgejr I am afraid that is not possible, the debug workflow is just a fixed workflow with all the values from the test view applied. There isn't a way of having an interface tool within the debug workflow, unless you manually insert one there where you can change the values, but that won't be any different than running the original workflow multiple times. 

fgeorgejr
5 - Atom

Thanks @gabrielvilella for your response.  I was afraid this wasn't possible but thanks for confirming.

Labels