Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date Parsing issues

SAPaul
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to create a dynamic workflow from some webscraped data and have become stuck when it comes to date parsing numbers like in the picture below. essentially if its from the last 3 days, it comes in the format of 'today', 'yesterday' and as below '2 nov' and '1 nov', i have come up with a solve for yesterday and today as those phrases will not change, however, i have not been able to figure out a way to get the correct year on these examples. Any help would be appreciated.

SAPaul_0-1572882415732.png

5 REPLIES 5
PaulRB
8 - Asteroid

You can use the formula tool with this formula:

DateTimeAdd(DateTimeParse([REVMONTH],"%d %b"), DateTimeYear(DateTimeToday()) - 1400, "years")

This won't work correctly in early Jan when the dates refer to Dec from the previous year...

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It's going to be within the last few days, here's a formula you could use:

IF Trimleft(DateTimeFormat(DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),-2,"days"),"%d %b"),"0")=[REVMONTH] THEN
DateTimeParse([REVMONTH]+DateTimeFormat(DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),-2,"days"),"%Y"),"%d %b %Y")
ELSE
DateTimeParse([REVMONTH]+DateTimeFormat(DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),-3,"days"),"%Y"),"%d %b %Y")
ENDIF

Let's break this down:

- The overall IF statement is used to determine if the value is 2 or 3 days from the current date so that the appropriate year can be used in the subsequent condition formula.

- Since the date values start appearing on dates that are 2 days old, DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),-2,"days") take the date from two days ago and determines the year

- Once the year is determined and returned by using the "%Y" format, that string is added to the original REVMONTH input. This makes "2 Nov" into "2 Nov 2019".

- Now that the year is appended, the standard DateTime value is returned. This is ISO 8601 format, which is "2019-11-02"

I'm sure you'll find many other ways to go about this, but this should help get things started. 

PaulRB
8 - Asteroid

Try the attached. Should deal with the Jan vs Dec problem I mentioned!

image.png

PS. Are you in Leeds area? There is a Leeds Alteryx User Group on the forum. Join that to find out date/location of next meeting.

SAPaul
8 - Asteroid

Hi Charlie 

Thanks, this worked great, even when there were posts more than 2 days old!

SAPaul
8 - Asteroid

Hi PaulRB

Thank you for this it, worked perfectly.

Labels