Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date Formatting- Convert to same format, error if format incorrect

aish28warya
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

I've an input data where dates are usually in the below two formats:

03/2020

I need a condition where I'm converting the dates in MM/YYYY.

something like

if 2021.05 then 05/2021 else 05/2021.

And a way where if the Date formats turn out to be anything other than the above two then either change them to MM/YYYY(though I tried building something like this but didn't work) or ultimately provide an error so that the output is not published with an incorrect date format.

2 REPLIES 2
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @aish28warya 

You would need to have list of all date formats that exist in your data to handle dates properly.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @aish28warya 

You can do this in a Formula Tool

if !regex_match([Date],"\d{4}\.\d{2}") and !regex_match([Date],"\d{2}\/\d{4}") then
	"error"
elseif !contains([Date],"/") then
	substring([Date],5,2)+"/"+left([Date],4)
else
	[date]
endif

The first clause returns "error" if it's not one of the 2 formats.  The second one converts it to mm/yyyy if its yyyy.mm.  The third one returns the original date since the only remaining case is mm/yyyy

If you have more known formats, then you can expand this statement to include and convert them as well. 

Dan

Labels