Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data not picked up by directory tool

yxt
7 - Meteor

Hi, i'm exploring the use of directory tool. It seems to have picked up the excel file from specific folder however the data within the excel file isn't getting picked up by remaining workflow. The next tool tells me the field is not contained. 

I think i am missing a step of selecting the tab within excel file. any help is appreciated.

2019-03-14_16-40-45.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Did you type in the formula for the filter tool? That may be the problem

yxt
7 - Meteor

yes, it works when i use the typical input data method.

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Sorry my bad, dunno why thought it was a normal input file.

The directory tool only returns the file types given in a specific folder. If you use the browse tool you will see all the information given about each file.

The way you set it (*.*) will return all files in this particular directory, not the file content

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

You should be using a Dynamic Input tool to actually open the file and read the data :) 

yxt
7 - Meteor

that worked! thanks! I have side questions if you don't mind helping me... I uploaded the workflow to the gallery, ran it and it produced 2 new sheet (addition/deletion) which was my intention. However the output file did not contain/retain my original 'data' sheet. I added a 3rd stream but still no data sheet.

original data not feeding to output.jpg

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

It really should be a different question, so you can mark this one as being solved and correct, but if you want the original data in there, you have to add it in as well.

Also, with your "block until done" tools, you only have 1 stream attached so they aren't really doing anything at all.

Labels