Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Data Investigation

Simon1187
9 - Comet

Hi everyone! 

I hope you are safe and well. 

I am trying to filter a column that contains string. This column contains phone number but some times I find string or the other phone numbers. Could you please help me how can I filter rows that contain string or other phone number. 

I have attached the file as sample. 

Thanks,

Simon 

8 REPLIES 8
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Did you want the phone numbers parsed out? If so - either of these solutions would work.

Simon1187
9 - Comet

Hi @apathetichell

Thanks for your solution but I want to filter the records that contains strings? 

Could you please help me with that? 

Thanks, 

Simon

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Sure - are you saying you want to isolate which records are not phone numbers and separate out the strings? So:

6 0401806040 or 0612065040 would become "Or"?

If you check out the datacleanse part of the workflow which I posted - and see where the tool has "cleanse letters" checked. Uncheck that - then see where it says numbers in the same section -  Check that. voila.

Also it might be easier if you referred to them as "characters" or "letters" they are all in the datatype "string" as presently set up.

Simon1187
9 - Comet

Hi @apathetichell

Thanks again. I want to filter all rows that contains string. 

For example I can not clean like this phone number 61865479976 - 891 is Paul/006 is Joe - Director. Due to the - , when I remove -  891 will be part of phone number, but it is not part of phone number. 

Could you please let me know how can I filters those rows. 

Thanks, 

Simon

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

O.k. - but the data you provided doesn't provide an ability to create that differentiation. Perhaps there was a different data file you meant to attach? It looks like everything in the excel you attached is either a phone number or text?

Simon1187
9 - Comet

Sorry, I checked your solution but I in some of my data I need change. Could you please help me with. 

Thank you for help. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Can you upload a different data file that is more reflective of your needs?

Simon1187
9 - Comet

Hi @apathetichell , 

Sorry for the delay. 

Please see the attached file. 

Labels