Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Creating a Drill Down Table Structure in Alteryx

jerry239
8 - Asteroid

Hello

I am new to Alteryx and just started learning it. I am trying to build a Drill Down Table Structure in Tableau through following below link:

https://www.phdata.io/blog/how-to-create-a-drill-down-table-in-tableau/

I successfully built it in Tableau but I am facing few but important limitation challenges in Tableau. So thinking if I can build an Alteryx workflow for the same which could help me in overcoming my challenges. The only difference between above information and my visualization is that I have textual data which like paragraphs. This data is shown in Quarterly manner which means I have different quarter columns instead of one single column in the paper.

Also, there can be a situation that my Level 3 could have more than one paragraph. I want to be able to give conditional color formatting to my paragraphs in a single cell.

Secondly, I need to attach few symbols at the start of my paragraph in Tableau

Lastly, I need my cells to have fit width capability so then long paragraphs would have bigger space as compared to others

can someone please help me in knowing if this is possible with the help of Alteryx and please guide me in building a workflow?

32 REPLIES 32
jerry239
8 - Asteroid

Hello @caltang 

I did some Google and followed your guidance. After that I was able to fetch my data to Tableau Hyper from render tool. The problem is that the only Excel extension it was supporting is 'xlsx' and not 'xls'. Also, there seems to be missing data in Tableau Hyper file. I needed my quarters in one field which could be made dynamic as per the dates availability but right now all the fields are coming differently.

The output wasn't giving me multiple random statements against one single cell Product line.

I know you're on your business trip and it will be difficult for you to look. I will try to do some workaround in it otherwise I believe I'll have to go back to Tableau.

Thank you a million times for looking into my query and I learnt a lot from this. :)

Regards

Jerry

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I Will be back by Thursday, let me check it out then for you - my apologies!

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @jerry239 - I've grouped them and used Sales instead as an example to better showcase Alteryx's capabilities. 

Luckily, I too have Tableau on my Local PC. I can't send it across here due to community limits, but here's a screen capture:

image.png

Your concern on the row merging if they are the same field should not be done on Alteryx or Excel, rather, Tableau does so more elegantly. 

If this doesn't help, then I don't think I can assist further - I need more clarity on what you can do, and with your limitations on uploading your work - I cannot go further beyond than what I have already done for you.

-Cal

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Labels