Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Correct SnowBL connection string without DSN

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Question: Do any of you have a working DSN-free connection string for snowflake Bulk Loader (SnowBL) in an Alteryx Output tool?

Details below

What is DSN-Free?

In order to be able to run our Alteryx canvasses on a multi-node server - we have to avoid using DSNs - so we generally expand connection strings that look like this:

odbc:DSN=DSNSnowFlakeTest;UID=Username;PWD=__EncPwd1__|||NEWTESTDB.PUBLIC.MYTESTTABLE

to instead have the fully described connection string like this:
odbc:DRIVER={SnowflakeDSIIDriver};UID=Username;pwd=__EncPwd1__;authenticator=Snowflake;WAREHOUSE=compute_wh;SERVER=xnb27844.us-east-1.snowflakecomputing.com;SCHEMA=PUBLIC;DATABASE=NewTestDB;Staging=local;Method=user

For Snowflake BL:

Now - for the Snowflake Bulk Loader the same process does not work and Alteryx gives the classic error below

With DSN:

snowbl:DSN=DSNSnowFlakeTest;UID=Username;pwd=__EncPwd1__;Staging=local;Method=user|||NEWTESTDB.PUBLIC.MYTESTTABLE

Without DSN:

snowbl:driver=SnowflakeDSIIDriver;UID=SeanBAdamsJPMC;pwd=__EncPwd1__;SERVER=xnb27844.us-east-1.snowflakecomputing.com;WAREHOUSE=compute_wh;SCHEMA=PUBLIC;DATABASE=NewTestDB;Staging=local;Method=user|||NEWTESTDB.PUBLIC.MYTESTTABLE

Output Data (6) Error SQLDriverConnect: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified" which indicates that the driver details may be wrong

Do any of you have a working fully-loaded snowbl connection string which does not use a DSN, but instead is fully expanded out to the details?

Many thanks

Sean

14 REPLIES 14
apathetichell
19 - Altair

Interesting - do you need to include the Authenticator=Snowflake pair?

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Played with this a bit - haven't been able to full connect (keeps having issues with my authenticator=externalbrowser) pair - but using  {SnowflakeDSIIDriver} - got me past the driver issue.

also - when writing out - you may need to leave out the DB and Schema since you've set them in the connection string.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @apathetichell - we've confirmed that this is not a missing attribute in the connection string by making sure that we included every single attribute that the DSN is using - what appears to be happening is that under the covers, Alteryx is amending the connection string.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

And you are using driver={SnowflakeDSIIDriver} - not driver=SnowflakeDSIIDriver? That's when the error message switched for me.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@apathetichell  - do you have a working connection string for snowflake bulk (snowBL: )?   If so - would you mind sharing it (albeit with the sensitive bits masked out) - it would be very helpful to everyone who is trying to use Snowflake Bulk Loader.

NOTE: ODBC is easy to do a DSN-less connection - it's SnowBL that seems to have a problem.

Confirmed: we have tried with both the {} format and the plain format - both give the same error on SnowBL connections

SnowBL:DRIVER={SnowflakeDSIIDriver};UID=username;pwd=__EncPwd1__;authenticator=Snowflake;WAREHOUSE=compute_wh;SERVER=xnb27844.us-east-1.snowflakecomputing.com;SCHEMA=PUBLIC;DATABASE=NewTestDB;Staging=local;Method=user;CLIENT_SESSION_KEEP_ALIVE=FALSE|||NEWTESTDB.PUBLIC.MYTESTTABLE

gives error: Error: Output Data (25): Error SQLDriverConnect: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

However if you change SnowBL to ODBC it works perfectly - so it is a good connections string, it's just not being accepted by Alteryx.

cc:  @wesley-siu @_PavelP 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

let me preface this with - I do not think Alteryx actually supports DSN less bulk for either snowflake or redshift - at least not now. I'd love for someone to come in and say "hey - just declare this value differently" - but I don't think that's going to happen.

Some steps:

1) Swap to the Simba Snowflake ODBC Driver- name that as your driver.

2) Change what you currently have as your table. Your table is listed as DB.SCHEMA.TABLE - it should be just TABLE since you are locking in the schema and the DB in other parts of the string.

3) I don't think methods=user is supported.

Does this work well? Not that i've seen. I had it connecting in once - but now it's back to giving me the s3 error that should be fixed by just declaring the table:

My sample string is:

snowbl:Driver={Simba Snowflake ODBC Driver};UID=MIKEYGG92612;pwd=__EncPwd1__;Authenticator=Snowflake;WAREHOUSE=compute_wh;SERVER=mnb37666.us-west-2.snowflakecomputing.com;Staging=local;DATABASE=ALTERYX_BULK2;Schema=BULK_TEST|||TEST - that makes a connection - writes the fields and then stops. It's not a connection issue - and it's using the driver - and it does create the table - but that's it.

How would I solve this problem? Pending if the need is control of the DSN and expectation of numerous potential DSNs - this is potentially not feasible for security concerns - but have Alteryx write the .reg entries needed for the DSN in workflow. wite/run a .bat file to import into registry. Run  Bulk upload as normal with a DSN...

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @apathetichell ,

Appreciate you taking time on this - we've run the option that you suggested and still no joy.

As you say - I'm not sure that Alteryx currently supports DSN-free connections to cloud bulk loads - for example Bulk load operations with DSN-less connection stri... - Alteryx Community

Hopefully this is something that can be added / changed soon.

cc: @_PavelP 

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

closing this thread - we confirmed with the connectors team that DSN-less connections are not currently supported for snowflake BL.

Adding some folk to the thread to see if there are any updates to be made to the discussion?

@wesley-siu @VojtechT 

Also_Treyson
5 - Atom

@SeanAdams @apathetichell Did we ever confirm that this is an Alteryx problem or an issue with DSN-Less with snowflake bulk?

Also Sean, good to see you leveraging snowflake!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels