Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Converting a date format

MJ54
7 - Meteor

I am bringing in values with the abbreviations at the end of each day (example August 2nd 2021 or August 25th 2021)

How do I build in a function to remove the “th”, “st”, etc at the end of the day number and replace it with a comma?

8 REPLIES 8
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @MJ54 

You can use replace function like this. 

REGEX_Replace([Date], "(.+\d)(:?th|st|nd)\s(.+)", "$1 $3")  the way i have added nd similar add new by adding it as |ths

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1631121193607.png

Hope this helps : )

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @MJ54 

Here's another option - I used regex to parse the data we want and then concatenated in a formula tool. 

@atcodedog05  - it looks like your solution is cutting of the 'st' in August. I wonder if there's a way to tweak it since doing a direct replace with a comma is cleaner.

Luke_C_0-1631120940045.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Luke_C 

Thank you for notifying me that, I guess i miss that out 😅 I have updated with a working solution 🙂 Thank you again.

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @MJ54

Both the solutions provided will work, but this one does the same thing in one formula without needing RegEx. 

DateTimeFormat(DateTimeParse([Field1],'%B %d** %Y'),'%B %d, %Y')

Maskell_Rascal_0-1631128568683.png

Attached is a copy for you to try. 

Cheers!

Phil

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@Maskell_Rascal Awesome! I didn't know there was this wildcard functionality in the datetime functions. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

+1 with @Luke_C 

@Maskell_Rascal even I was unsure that datetimeparse() supports wildcard functionality 🙂

Thanks for sharing 😀

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@atcodedog05 @Maskell_Rascal 
It is new for me also. Thanks for the wild card information.

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

@Qiu@atcodedog05@Luke_C 

Glad I could share with you guys!

This is one of those little known features within Alteryx for date conversions. While it doesn't specifically say in the help documentation for date functions that an asterisk can be used as a wildcard within the formula tool, it does state you can use it in the DateTime tool when using the custom format option. 

Labels