Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert Different Date Formats in a Single Column to a Standard Date Format

SudhaGupta1
7 - Meteor

I have a case where I have a column with multiple date formats. If you see below the Date Mask or Format is not consistent.

The last row has .dd-MM-yyyy

The last second row has '.dd-MM-yyyy

The last third row has 'dd/mm/yyyy 

so on and so forth 

1-Jan-24
1/10/2024
6/Jan/2024
6th Sept 2018
'05/12/2023
'.02-MAY-2023
.02-MAY-2023

In total there are 8 different formats of date

8 REPLIES 8
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @SudhaGupta1 You can convert it to Date field by Formula tool with IF/ELSE conditional statement.

For example, you need to define 8 types if/elseif condition by Regex_Match function, and convert it by DateTimeParse function for each.

As an exception, if the data format is a number (44929), you need to convert it by DateTimeAdd function. Usually that number stands for the day count since 1900-01-01. See the example snap shot how to implement it.

Please note that you cannot sometime distinguish the format, for example between 'yyyy/MM/dd' and 'yyyy/dd/MM'. I mean if the data is '2024-01-02', you cannot judge which 2nd of January, 2024 or 1st of February, 2024. Please be careful.

image.png

SudhaGupta1
7 - Meteor

Hi @gawa ,
I am able to get the expected results for all cases except for 6th Sept 2018 date. How to write formula for it so that it covers similar cases.

SudhaGupta1
7 - Meteor

Hi @gawa ,
I am able to get the expected results for all cases except for 6th Sept 2018 date. How to write formula for it so that it covers similar cases.

gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@SudhaGupta1 

My advice is...try to change format like the following format with help of Regex_Replace function, etc.

6 Sep 2018  or   6th Sep 2018

And apply Date TimeParse function. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Try something like - datetimeparse(regex_replace([Field1],"(^\d+)(\w+)(.*)","$1$3"),"%d %b %Y")

hcook
5 - Atom

@apathetichell

Do you know a better formula to convert yyyymmdd to where it is in a date format such as mm/dd/yyyy? For example, my data shows 19650930 and I want it to say 09/30/1965.

My current formula is:

Substring([Date Open],4,2)+Right([Date Open], 2)+Left([Date Open], 4)    which gives me 09301965.

Any help is appreciated!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

datetimeformat(datetimeparse([field],"%Y%m%d"),"%m/%d/%Y")

hcook
5 - Atom

Thank you!!

Labels