Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Conditionally count fields from a parallel workflow to import in main workflow

Fran_Lozano
5 - Atom

Hi,

I'm pretty new using Alteryx.

I have two workflows in my project. The secondary workflow is intended to complement the main workflow.

Main = 52 rows

Secondary = 264000 rows

The doubt is simple. I don't find out the way to relate the two workflows without using Join. I think I must not use Join as the structure of data is completely different and the common field in both workflows have 3 different values (this field is not an identifier in common but a common characteristic). So I cannot use Join as the resulting rows would be in essence 52*(264000 / 3), and the table would not make any sense.

Being in the main workflow, I want to conditionally count registers from the secondary workflow.

When?

1. When the common field in the main and secondary matches, and,

2. When the date on the secondary is fewer than on main.

But I cannot do it with a simple Formula in the main workflow as the fields of secondary workflow do not appear when I'm editing the formula.

So, what is the tool that I should use to add the information from the secondary workflow to the main workflow? Cannot I call fields from a parallel workflow in a conditional way with a tool similar to Formula?

I would really appreciate any hint to continue. I'm pretty stuck now.

Many thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Fran

2 REPLIES 2
Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

Do you have some sample (dummy) data you can provide to provide a visual of the data itself?

Fran_Lozano
5 - Atom

Hi Robin,

Many thanks for your fast answer.

Yes, I have. I`ve attached a sample of:

- Main workflow - Item's introduction date - Initially 52 registers.

- Secondary workflow - Unit's production date - Initially 264000 registers.

In essence I want to:

FOR every [ITEM] in "Item's introduction date"

COUNT in 'Unit's production date" table how many records I have in field [SIST_MOD_(Production)]

IF --> [SIST_MOD_(Production)] = [SIST_MOD_(Item)] AND [Built_date]<[INTRODUCTION_DATE]

That is, how many units of each [ITEM] were built before the [INTRODUCTION_DATE] through the production line and model the [ITEM] was introduced in. Production line & model have 3 possibilities "B VAN", "A SUV" and "B SUV" and it's the only common field between both workflows and must be the match.

I hope the explanation is sufficient.

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Fran

Labels