Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Concatenating Fields

JamesDB
7 - Meteor

Hello Alteryx Community,

I'm trying to concatenate two fields together to make 1 address line, which I know how to do if the data is in the right fields.  However the data I want to use is split across three fields but I don't to use all of it.

In the screen grab below, I want to concatenate the contents of the building number field with the Thoroughfare_and_descriptor field (street name). 

However some of the building numbers are in Building Name field. Where this happens I only want to concatenate the numbers and not the names with the Thoroughfare_and_descriptor field (street name).

Any suggestions on how I can do this please? 

Address concat.JPG

Thanks in advance,

5 REPLIES 5
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JamesDB ,

Attached is an example showing how to divide your dataset using regex.

fmvizcaino_0-1617128437609.png

Let me know if this works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can check to see if the building name field contains numbers with regex match. 

I also included a condition to check if the building number contains numbers, because some of them are missing a number in both building name and number.

echuong1_0-1617134886815.png

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Who doesn't love a one tool solution @echuong1! It always amazes me just how flexible the formula tool is!

JamesDB
7 - Meteor

Hi Fernando,

This appears to work for me, just testing it out now on the full dataset.

Many thanks.

JamesDB
7 - Meteor

Hi there,

Thank-you for your help1.JPG

I've tweaked your solution slightly.  As it was the completed field posed an additional issue.  This is because a address line 1 of an address can be either a building name or a building number+thoroughfare_and_descriptor.

I've changed it so that the complete field only contains building number+thoroughfare_and_descriptor.

Labels