Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Complex Cohort Analysis: Taking a transaction table & breaking expansion revenue out

jmorris24
7 - Meteor

Hello,

So... I am trying to solve something a bit more complex. In essence I need to take a transaction table and understand based on someones new business start date how likely they are to reorder (also known as upsells or expansion revenue) each quarter after they start. And then based on that look at active clients based on where they are in their journey and assign an expansion revenue forecast to each accordingly each quarter for the next year. By looking at an order type of New you can identify a client's start date. Reorder=expansion

Here is my sample data:

Sales OrderAccount NameStart DateEnd DateOrder TypeAmountClass
1111XYZ Corp1/15/151/15/18New25000Software
1111XYZ Corp1/15/151/15/18New5000Hardware Support
1112The Best Company4/15/134/15/16New50000Software
1113The Best Company8/16/154/15/16Reorder65000Software
1114The Best Company4/16/164/16/19Renewal115000Software
1114The Best Company4/16/164/16/19Renewal5000Hardware Support
1115The honest company8/15/158/15/18New100000Software
1116The honest company12/13/168/15/18Reorder80000Software
1117The honest company8/16/188/16/21Renewal180000Software
1118Just another company2/15/202/14/23New250000Software

Here is how I envision one of the outputs:

Year 1

Quarter 1Quarter 2Quarter 3Quarter 4Quarter 1Quarter 2Quarter 3Quarter 4
XYZ Corp        
Software        
Hardware support        
The Best Company        
Software        
Hardware support        
The honest company        
Software        
Hardware support        
Just another company        
Software        
Hardware support        

Here is another possible output:

Start Date
XYZ Corp 
The Best Company 
The honest company 
Just another company 

Here are some of the questions I am trying to answer:

1. We need to know what percent of clients have additional Revenue come in Q1, Q2, etc

2. Of those clients what percent of their revenue is additional

3. Ideally it would be nice to know that X % of clients have reorder revenue come in the 1st year, x % in year 2, etc

4. Clients that have expansion in the first year typically expand their revenue by y%, clients that expand 2nd year expand their revenue by x%

5. What percent of total revenue expands each quarter

6. Once we answer those then we need to look at clients that are up for renewal and assign expansion revenue based on the Quarters they are currently in

Hopefully that makes sense. I understand the complexity. I am newer to alteryx and have never done something so complex in it. Excited to learn more!

2 REPLIES 2
PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @jmorris24 ,

welcome to the community! 🙂

This sounds like a consulting project as it is quite complex (as you said). That is not the best fit for a community post in my opinion.

Alteryx is all about learning by doing. Therefore, I recommend that you take this project as an opportunity to learn.

As a starting point, check out the "Getting Started Learning Path": 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Learning-Paths/Getting-Started-Learning-Path/ta-p/475117

Then start building your workflow.

When you got stuck or if you can break this project down to smaller chunks, I expect more answer from the community for you.

In addition, you can book a Virtual Solution Center session with real Alteryx experts, who are going to help you in the building process:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Virtual-Solution-Center/tkb-p/vsc

I wish you a great day

Phil 

jmorris24
7 - Meteor

Thanks. I found what I needed here. I really just listed the rest of it to give context to what I was trying to solve. No big deal. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Cohort-Workflow/td-p/439021

Thanks for the helpful info. 

Cheers!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels