Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Date field in SQL Server DB changes to V_Wstring

calloni
9 - Comet

Hello

I am pushing an yxdb to a SQL server DB. The first column in my dataset is "transaction_date" which is set in yxdb to be a Date field format.

I upload this dataset to SQL server. Then I add it to a different Alteryx workflow and Alteryx detects the field in the SQL DB as V_WString.

I tried uploading the data to SQL server DB via both regular Output tool and Write data in DB tool. Both resulted in the same outcome.

Any idea on how to ensure the data type is correct in SQL?

Thanks in advance

Rodrigo

2 REPLIES 2
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Double check to ensure the field is a string prior to being output to the DB. You can add a Select tool right before the Output to check. I'd also check your SQL DB to see if the field type is a string or a date. You should get some sort of mismatch error when running your workflow. It sounds like both may actually be a string.

calloni
9 - Comet

Hi

Thanks for the response. Yes I put a Select field prior to both options (Output tool or Write in-DB tool). I tried sending 1000 records and the same happens. When Alteryx reads the 1000 records from DB the field type is then V_WString.

One alternative I got was to set the field as DateTime in Select tool. That made the field get to SQL server as DateTime. But then I am adding a lot of 00:00:00 to my DB.

I wonder if this is some ODBC limitation?

Rodrigo

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels