Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cleansing data

z1906133
5 - Atom

Hello, 

I am currently working on a project for school using public data. Attached is a sample of the data I plan on using for the project. In order to properly compare them I need to get all the departments to match across the files. For example one file has Department of Aviation while the other has Aviation and some are harder to distinguish between the files. Is there any easy way to achieve this using Alteryx? I have tried Fuzzy match but am not completely familiar with how to use it. 

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
AndrewSu
Alteryx
Alteryx

@z1906133 , for something like this I believe it'd be easier to use/create a lookup table rather than Fuzzy Matching since Fuzzy Matching uses algorithms that take into consideration the phonetic pronunciation of the words to make match keys: if there's other logic than this that would determine whether 2 departments are the same across the two files, then matching would be harder to achieve with Fuzzy Matching.

I've attached an example workflow that can help you get started in creating your lookup table in Alteryx. 

After you create the lookup table, then a simple Join or Find/Replace should do the trick. 

If this helps resolve your issue, please mark this post as the solution so that others in the community can benefit from our collaboration. 

Thanks.  

Labels