Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Can we use Alteryx as a database ? Other than .yxdb file format ?

lstalin
5 - Atom

Hi Everyone,

I am looking forward to use Alteryx as a database for an occurring data tracking project. The input of the workflow is an excel and we want to store the output in a centralized location. Also we want to update the database weekly or biweekly.

Is it possible to do in Alteryx. I am not looking for a .yxdb file to store in a personal system, but a centralized location to store data either cloud or network database.

2 REPLIES 2
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @lstalin - yxdb is a proprietary Alteryx DB file format. You can save this file in a cloud or centralised location assuming you have appropriate permissions. More info can be found here: https://help.alteryx.com/20213/designer/alteryx-database-file-format 

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

If you want to use Alteryx as a database you might be disappointed.  It's not a database, it could be described as a data processing tool but it really just reads, processes and writes data.  

I would say that what you want to do is not possible.  You really need a database (Snowflake, AWS RDS, whatever) and Alteryx can write your Excel data to there and then you can use Alteryx (or a truckload of other software) to read from the database and report on it.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels