Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Can we use Alteryx as a database ? Other than .yxdb file format ?

lstalin
5 - Atom

Hi Everyone,

I am looking forward to use Alteryx as a database for an occurring data tracking project. The input of the workflow is an excel and we want to store the output in a centralized location. Also we want to update the database weekly or biweekly.

Is it possible to do in Alteryx. I am not looking for a .yxdb file to store in a personal system, but a centralized location to store data either cloud or network database.

2 REPLIES 2
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @lstalin - yxdb is a proprietary Alteryx DB file format. You can save this file in a cloud or centralised location assuming you have appropriate permissions. More info can be found here: https://help.alteryx.com/20213/designer/alteryx-database-file-format 

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

If you want to use Alteryx as a database you might be disappointed.  It's not a database, it could be described as a data processing tool but it really just reads, processes and writes data.  

I would say that what you want to do is not possible.  You really need a database (Snowflake, AWS RDS, whatever) and Alteryx can write your Excel data to there and then you can use Alteryx (or a truckload of other software) to read from the database and report on it.

Labels