Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Browse tool and Connection Progress

Alteryxuserhere
8 - Asteroid

Hi All

I'm new to Alteryx and I'm wondering how do I get the browse tool to display all data from the input tool? The reason for this is I'm not sure how much data is it extracting and therefore when I use Join and Union tools, I can't verify if the results are valid or not.

I tried setting the Connection Progress to be always show in Canvas settings, but it doesn't always show.

Any solutions to this?

Thanks all

6 REPLIES 6
AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

If there is too much data to display, then a sample will be displayed. That being said. All available data should be going through each tool. You can look at the record count in the result pane to verify that all data is being passed through and around properly:

Screenshot.png

For logic verification, you can create representative test samples that capture all possible cases within you data (which should be small enough to view all of) with the Text Input Tool. Then all you need to do is follow the workflow and make sure everything is working well before pulling in main data from data source.

Alteryxuserhere
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Mine gets capped at 2000. How do I remove this limit? Can you also elaborate how I can use the Text Input tool?

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

That's not a cap, that's all the records/rows that made it to the Browse Tool (Or output anchor, depending on what you're viewing). Where are you pulling data from and how? Check your data source. If you have a Browse Tool connected directly to an Input Tool, then those 2000 records are all the records that the Input Tool is getting from the data source (barring some crazy bug, which is unlikely)

The Text Input Tool is pretty self-explanatory. It's basically as close to an excel spreadsheet as you can get. Just add Column names and then values underneath in the configuration menu for the Tool. When the workflow runs, it outputs exactly what you put in.

Screenshot.png

Screenshot 2.png

Tam
9 - Comet

Hi @Alteryxuserhere

I'm guessing you are talking about the display in the result window from the output anchor of your input tool: 

I'd suggest: 

This interactive lesson would be useful to your question: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Viewing-Data/ta-p/73953

Also look at the examples of the Browse Tool

Capture Browse Examples.PNG

In term of what you are seeing: 

The output anchor of your input tool will only show a certain amount of data for a large data set: 

source: Results Window (alteryx.com)

By default, the Results window displays the number of records shown in the window out of the total number of records in the data. For most tools, the Results window displays up to 1 MB of data, or up to 1,000 bytes of string data, for each tool anchor. If data exceeds 1 MB, the Results window displays a message that states that partial results are displayed.

• To view all data from a tool in the Results window, add a Browse tool, and rerun the workflow.

• To view more than 1 MB of data in the Results window without a Browse tool, adjust Memory Limit per Anchor in User Settings

The browse tool is supposed to always shows your complete dataset, regardless of the number of rows (i.e. 10 rows or 4 million rows).

Untitled.png

When you click on an input output anchor on a tool it will usually give you an indication of the number records that was read in/out. 

You can also check your log:

Untitled (2).png

Also, in most cases when using join it is definitely worth checking the left (L) (in) anchor for the number of records read, and the join (J) (out) anchor should equal this number, if it does not then there should be an output in the Left(L) (out) anchor, the sum of these should equal what you read into the Left input, if not then there are likely duplicates in the right tables .

HTH

Tam 

Alteryxuserhere
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @Tam @AndrewDMerrill 

I'm using Salesforce Input and when I click on the input output anchor it will show me 2,000 rows but I know that from the Salesforce data I have more than 2000, which is why i thought it caps at 2000.

Screenshot 1.png

Tam
9 - Comet

In that case it is a cap. Salesforce tools when you are trying to pull from a report will only permit 2000 rows. Limitation i believe is on Salesforce side not Alteryx.

regards 

Tam 

Labels