Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Block until done - 1,2,3

markperrone
メテオロイド

For the tool do the 1,2,3 "outputs" dictate the order of execution ?

does the output 1 get done before output 2 ?

I read the tools connected to the outputs are executed done in id order.  would that be across all outputs and tools ?

If tool id 1 is attached to output 2 and tool id 3 is attached to output 1 what is the order of execution ?

markperrone_0-1635444085645.png

4件の返信4
chukleswk
ボリード

This video will walk through the Block Until Done tool: Block Until Done 

But, to give a quick summary, the order of execution is that output 2 won't run until output 1 is done running and output 3 won't run until output 1 and 2 are completed running.

csmith11
ボリード

Please consider marking a reply as a solution so that other users can quickly locate solutions in the community.

For the tool do the 1,2,3 "outputs" dictate the order of execution ? Yes

does the output 1 get done before output 2 ? Yes. (What is defined as done may surprise you though. See Example 2)

Example 1

Below I rearrange the order of the Block until down tools to illustrate the execution order more clearly.

You'll notice 1 executes first, then 2 second, then 3 third.

csmith11_0-1635518481888.png

Example 2

However, I recently discover this issue with the block until done tool: The 1st stream of data executes until the Join Tool (At this point its considered done) then it allows the 2nd and 3rd stream to execute before Message 14. This was surprising behavior that you'll want to keep in mind. When working with Block Until Done Typically the whole data stream should execute on output 1 first. The exception being the Join Tool (This is considered the end of the execution for a given stream)

csmith11_2-1635518879918.png

Hope this helps.

markperrone
メテオロイド

what if there are multiple tools attached to one output?  I'm trying to debug a flow where

5 macros are attached to output 1

1 macro attached to output 2

4 macros attached to output 3.

In general what is the rule on the order to execution ?

HomesickSurfer
クエーサー

Hi @markperrone 

I have success grouping my tools within Container Tools

The workflow will run in the order in which the containers are added onto the Designer canvas.

ラベル