Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Batch Macro Avoid Open, Save Close Excel

ztriano
7 - Meteor

I have a batch input macro that takes an excel directory and passes that directory through the macro and then iterates through each file in the directory to perform the steps and then union the results together into a single table. This is requiring me to ensure all files are opened, saved and closed, prior to running it through to avoid an error. How can I circumvent this, so I do not need to open save and close each file?

2 REPLIES 2
martinding
13 - Pulsar

Hi @ztriano 

A Batch Macro should be able to achieve the task of iterating through the files, performing some steps and then union results together with no problem. I just need to first understand the issue better.

By excel directory, do you mean a list of sheet names from a single Excel file? Or a list of different Excel files in a folder?

And what was the error message that you received? Would it be possible to attach some example files and the expected output?

VijayAnaparthi
8 - Asteroid

For some reason, Alteryx can't read some Excel files directly, for that you need to do open Save and close. So if you want to avoid that manual operation then you can use openpyxl which is python package which will copy your files and save those files in same directory. You can include one python tool before above process and write that openpyxl code. So maybe then your issue will be going to resolve.

Labels