Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Applying Formula To Multiple Fields

henrymk5
7 - Meteor

I'm using a small sample for my question, but I am trying to find a way to apply the same formula to multiple fields.

I have Cash1, Cash1_right, Cash2, Cash2_Right, Cash3, Cash3_Right etc.

I need the formula Cash1 - Cash1_Right to be applied followed by formula Cash2 - Cash2_right then Cash2 - Cash2_right etc.

I have thousands of matching fields that I require the differences for and do not want to manually input a separate formula for each fields.

Is there an easier way for me to obtain the differences between the field pairings.

Attached is my sample data.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Simha
9 - Comet

Hi,

Could this work?

Simha

Simha_0-1583349645739.png

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @henrymk5 ,

Example attached.

fmvizcaino_0-1583349823538.png

Let me know if this works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

This is why we need an indirect function in Alteryx!

@Simha , my approach differs a touch from @fmvizcaino 's, so it's a matter of preference.

EstherB47_0-1583350494589.png

Explanation: After the join, added a record ID tool, because I'm going to transpose the data and want to keep the integrity of the rows. Used a formula tool to change the naming from the Join tool into, for example, cash1_right

Then a sort and multirow formula. The multirow formula subtracts the value in the next row from the value in the current row. The Sample tool ignores every other row (we don't need that for the new difference calculation) I needed to adjust field size with Select in order to add the "_Difference" to the newly calculated field, and remove fields that aren't needed anymore. Unioned that together with the original transposed list, and crosstabbed back to a table.

Let me know if this works for you. Cheers! Esther

Labels