Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Appending data to existing sheet: Unique name for field error.

lomeoari
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I am trying to append data to the end of an existing sheet in alteryx. I am receiving the below error and not sure why I am getting it/what it means.  I literally am just selecting the data from input file, removing whitespace, and appending to a named range. The columns are exactly the same in both files, the input just has some additional data so I used the select to select certain columns. It worked twice at first but now I am getting the below error. 

Output Data (759) Could not generate a unique name for field <1>, number 15855, after attempting 999 generated names

Workflow:

lomeoari_0-1635885667149.png

lomeoari_1-1635885775279.png

1 REPLY 1
jonnyrask
8 - Asteroid

Hi @lomeoari 

You can try a couple things

- Instead of appending the data in the output tool, you can add an input tool (pointing to the output field path) and a union tool. Combine the stream you have with the new input tool stream. This should accomplish the same thing that the output tool does

- In the 'Append Field Map' property change the custom mapping to a mapping not based on field names.

This could be a bug with Designer, as referenced here. If the two workarounds don't work, then try and attach the workflow with sample data.

Labels