Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Processing Input Data With Incorrect Values

pateldev22
7 - Meteor

I have a named range set up in excel for a data set which Alteryx is reading via an input tool, however the value of the field is showing up as a number rather than the value itself within Excel. Does anyone know what can be causing this and what the resolution can be?

I've attached screenshots for review.

5 REPLIES 5
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @pateldev22 ,

Would you be able to share a sample file for me to check it out? You can encrypt or erase anything you want before.

Off topic: I just bought a set of tools from Stanley, it is the best thing!!!!!

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@pateldev22 
Can you also check the option "First Row Contains Data" and see something would change?

pateldev22
7 - Meteor

Hi Qiu,

Yes this did work. However i am feeding about 100 files through using a batch macro, so if i use enable this then it will screw up the data for the other files which are reading in properly lol. 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @pateldev22 

It sounds like you need to "harden" your batch macro to deal with inconsistencies in your input data.  It's a common problem that we run across at some point.  It's especially common when dealing with Excel files since users have free reign to modify the files as they see fit.  Since extra data is almost always easier to deal with than missing data, you could modify your macro to include @Qiu's fix and then add some validation to check if the 1st row is your header row, SBU, Account Group, etc.  If it's not then use a Dynamic Rename to take the headers from the first row of data. 

Dan 

pateldev22
7 - Meteor

Thank you Dan,

This ended up working perfectly! I added in the data validation within the macro along with a dynamic rename!

Labels