Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Output to existing Excel Template

BRRLL99
11 - Bolide

Hi

I have different 4 (A,B,C,D) Excel Binary worksheets, Each file has 4 DIFFERENT sheets and standard template

I would like to insert data in Main sheet only 

Input : Alteryx generated results window

DATATOTALFILE NAME
100GH10A
100RT20A
200TH40B
400YY5D

For File A:

100GH10
100RT20

for file B:

200TH40

for file D: 

400YY5

based on the file name from Alteryx, excel files needs to be updated in the pre existing template

From 
cell : B10 to C10

7 REPLIES 7
Raj
14 - Magnetar

@BRRLL99 you will be breaking this into 3 Pices and then as per template you will be writing for each file name
you will be also using multiple block until done so it does not give any error.

BRRLL99
11 - Bolide

please how it can be done

since those are existing it will have previously some data,

if i run run the workflow Alteryx should add new data , removing old data.

@usmanbashir @binuacs 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@BRRLL99 I am not following your requirement, can you explain a little bit more what exactly you are looking for?

BRRLL99
11 - Bolide

Hi

Let's take a scenario in a folder I have 4 excel Files (A, B, C, D) which has some previous data from cell A11 to B20

ex:  Alteryx has generated results

for file A : it has generated only 5 rows of 2 columns

Since data is already present from A11 to B20, Alteryx should remove old data and add new data

For File C:

Alteryx has not generated any results

then from A11 to B20 cells should be blank

ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

I do not believe Excel Binary outputs have the capacity to output to a specific range. if you want to write data to a specific area of a template consider using a .xlsx and using a formula tool to write a custom file path writing the files to the same location but each with their unique name then overwriting a sheet name and adding the range after that.

image.png

You would want your file path in the formula tool to be crafted as:

Filepath/filename|||'Sheetname to overwrite$A11:B20'

BRRLL99
11 - Bolide

@ed_hayter @binuacs  

How do I output to an Excel template file? (alteryx.com)

I tried this approach for the binary file , it is giving me expected result the only issue is that headers are creating twice

Before Alteryx run Excel Data:

DATA COUNT
A11
B29
C40
D50

After Alteryx run with new data

DATACOUNT
DATA COUNT
A11
B11
C11
D11
ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

Not fully following where we are at with this issue. When you output from Alteryx what does the data look like - are there two sets of headers or is it only when you send that data to excel and then try and read in the file that the header is duplicated.

If the former then obviously deduplicate the headers in the flow.

If the latter I wonder if where you are outputting two sheet range wise already has headers above - in which case if you increase the sheet range you are writing to by one (e.g. A1:A11 rather than A2:A11) then you should be able to avoid duplicating the headers,

Labels