Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Formula Help IF AND THEN ELSE

ba13891
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I would like to create a new output field as seen in Mode 2 below.  I created a formula using the following SQL: IF [MODE] = "TL" AND [CARRIER CODE] = "FLET" THEN [new field (mode 2)] = "FLEET" ELSE [MODE] END IF

I received a syntax error when trying the above SQL.  Any thoughts on how I can accomplish this?

ModeCarrier CodeMode 2 (new output field)

TL

LOGI

TL

TLFLET

FLEET

TLLOGI

TL

TLLOGNTL
9 REPLIES 9
MilindG
12 - Quasar

@ba13891 

if [Mode] = 'TL' and [Carrier Code] = 'FLET' then 'FLEET' ELSE [Mode] ENDIF

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

@ba13891 It would look like this in Alteryx:

(First select create new column and name it.)

IF [Mode] = "TL"

AND [Carrier Code] = "FLET"

THEN "FLEET"

ELSE [Mode]

ENDIF

Case has to match, ENDIF is all one word. Hope this helps.

StellaBon

ba13891
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the feedback!

I used the attached SQL, which is actual field names.  I receive a syntax error at or around '='.

Do I need to consider anything being that I'm doing an "in database formula"?  Any suggestions on resolving the error based on what you see below?

IF `rtrim(MODE_STD)` = "TL"
AND `DOC_TYP_CD` = "FLET"
THEN "FLEET"
ELSE `rtrim(MODE_STD)`
END IF

ba13891
6 - Meteoroid

@StellaBon  sorry to ask this again, but thought I should direct it towards you :)

Do you know why I would get a Parse Syntax Error aroudn the = of the statement below?

IF `rtrim(MODE_STD)` = "TL"
THEN "FLEET"
ELSE `rtrim(MODE_STD)`
ENDIF

Thanks,

ba13891

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

@ba13891 It could dislike using an = sign on a string datatype. In which case use the Contains() function to achieve same result.

ba13891
6 - Meteoroid

@StellaBon  I tried the statement below, and received a new syntax error at or near '`rtrim(MODE_STD)`': extra input '`rtrim(MODE_STD)`'. (Line 1, pos 530)

IF Contains `rtrim(MODE_STD)`,"TL"
AND contains `DOC_TYP_CD`,"FLET"
THEN "FLEET"
ELSE `rtrim(MODE_STD)`
ENDIF

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

@ba13891 Just saw that you are using In-Database. You have to use the syntax that works with your type of SQL. Because it is a hybrid of what your SQL type is and what Alteryx accepts, if your sql syntax isn't working you may need to google a variety of ways to write it in your native syntax until you hit on one that Alteryx accepts. I am guessing it will be closer to 

Case WHEN

"Column1" LIKE("FLET")

AND "COLUMN2" LIKE("abc")

THEN "FLEET"

ELSE NULL

END

But do google this for exact structure.

ba13891
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you @StellaBon.  Native syntax may be a little above my expertise; however, I did shift to the basic formula tool, which led to succes via your previous advice. 

Rana_Kareem
9 - Comet

Hi @ba13891 ..

Yes, as StellaBon said

You have to use CASE Statement instead of IF Statement.

Also, I see you are using rtrim function, you should put it outside the backticks. ``

The expression will be:

CASE
WHEN rtrim(`MODE_STD`) = "TL"
THEN "FLEET"
ELSE rtrim(`MODE_STD`)
END 

Hope that helps

Labels