Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Customer-Managed Telemetry installation issue

lucasquintieri98
8 - Asteroid

Hello guys!

I am having some issues when it comes down to turning on CMT.

I've found the possibilities that CMT brings very interesting and I want to try it out, but I just can't seem to get it to work properly.

When it comes down to editing the RunTimeSettings file (which is located in C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData in my computer, apparently I do not have the authorization to do such thing, since it's a corporate computer and I really am not an admin (this is a privilege of certain IT department members that I am not a part of)... Even though I have downloaded and installed Alteryx all by myself, with no extra "admin permission" needed, which makes me a bit confused).

Either way, I've contacted the IT members that have that admin privilege and asked one of them to change the file for me, adding the telemetry tags and the location in which the logs will be saved (I chose a folder that's stored in our company Drive).

We were able to edit the file and save it accordingly, then I rebooted my pc(it is informed in the tutorial in this link Customer-Managed Telemetry: A Window into Workflow... - Alteryx Community that we should do it) and tried running some workflows as tests, but none of them generated logs... (I tried running through analytic apps, debugs and the "default way", none of them seemed to output the logs in the designated folder.

I also noticed that when we save the file (RunTimeSettings) after editing it, the "address in which the logs will be stored" automatically changes, like so:

The one that we input: <Telemetry><EnableCustomerManagedTelemetry>C:\Users\lucas.quintieri\Alt - Alteryx\000. TelemetryLogs</EnableCustomerManagedTelemetry></Telemetry>

The same one after we save it: <Telemetry><EnableCustomerManagedTelemetry>C:\Users\lucas.quintieri\Alt? - Alteryx\000. TelemetryLogs</EnableCustomerManagedTelemetry></Telemetry>

As you can see, when referencing the Alt - Alteryx folder, a random "?" appears and I don't know if that is the cause of the issue...

I've tried with other locations that are not in our corporation shared drive, such as my desktop, my private documents etc... and the "random chars" still show up after saving...

I don't know if that's the main cause of it not working, but any help would be greatly appreciated as we are really looking foward to implementing it.
Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
mmichaelson
8 - Asteroid

Hi @lucasquintieri98 - Thanks for circling back.  I have not figured this out for either Tableau or PBI.  My priorities have shifted, so I will need to revisit this at a later date.

Labels