Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Allowing the user to select the file location for an excel output but NOT the sheet/cells

peter-gillespie
6 - Meteoroid

Hi

I'm trying to design something to allow people to run a series of small workflows which will each generate single values, each of which will then get added to particular cells in a template excel file.

At the moment I have my data-generating workflow but I'm struggling on controlling the output tool. I want the user to be able to select the location of this month's template excel file but I don't want them to have to select the tab in that template or the cells that this particular workflow is going to overwrite: ideally I'd like those latter two things (which will be the same every time) to be held within the workflow. This is because I don't trust them to select the right cells every time and the template excel sheet will fall over if they don't.

What I've tried so far:

- File browse into an input tool which imports the template,

- Input tool is configured to add the filepath as a new column

- Used the Left command in the formula tool to strip out everything in the filepath after the file extension (to get rid of the |||Sheetname$Cell:Cell) that the user has inputted.

- Used a  Text input tool to add in the correct sheet name and cell reference.

- Used another formula tool to concetenate the filepath and the static sheet name and cell reference - this produces a cell with the 'corrected filepath and sheet name/cell reference'.

- Keep that as a column into the output tool, which is configured to take the file/table name from a field - this is pointed at the filepath column.

This is where is falls over: instead of taking the filepath column and using that to find the output location, it's dumping the data in a new tab with the filepath as the tab name.

Is there a better way of doing this?

0 REPLIES 0
Labels