Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Allow user to pick value and use the value to continue running the workflow

Jess_Lin
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Designers,

I'm creating a workflow to update value according to the fund name (e.g., If "EquityABC Fund" then the value is "Equity", "Fund BCD Bond" then the value is "Bond").

A formula will process all the data source fund names and create a new field to show value ("Bond", "Equity", or "Others"). I want Alteryx to process data first and then for "Others", pop up a user interface to allow users to manually choose either it is bond or equity before passing that value back to workflow for further processing. Is there a way to do that?

From my Alteryx knowledge, we can only ask users to input values first via interface and THEN update that value to the workflow formula. 

Many thanks in advance! 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Jess_Lin 

Here is how you can do it.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1629715041683.png

Here is an interactive lesson on the topic https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Creating-Drop-Downs/ta-p/243115 

Hope this helps : )

Jess_Lin
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the quick response! 😊

But I think you've misunderstood me: The workflow you showed allow users to choose the value type first and then pass on that result to the remaining workflow. My issue is, we want the results to pop up on the window before the user chooses the value.

Example:

1. Alteryx formula to process raw fund data and categorize them into three values: "Bond", "Equity", "Others"

2. For funds with "Others" value, pop-up a window drop-down list for users to choose either it's equity or bond one by one. (i.e., there should be two kinds of values only in the end).

3. Alteryx take user's input, and overwrite the original "Others" value.

4. Further Alteryx processing.

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @Jess_Lin ,

I suggest you have a look at @MarqueeCrew solution in the following post (it's the one I used for inspiration) :

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Iterative-App/td-p/77179

In your instance, you will probably need a chained app where the first app populates the tree interface tool. This first app writes two outputs, one that will be fed in the Tree interface tool and the structure appears in the results pane of the below screenshot, and the other output is all funds that don't need to be checked

AngelosPachis_0-1629717894206.png

The second app will show the user all funds that need to be checked and allow them to select whether that's an Equity or Bond. I've also included a test tool when more than one options are chosen for a single fund, then your workflow will error

AngelosPachis_1-1629717989865.png

It will then union the selection done by the user plus the data from the first app that don't need to be checked, and it will show the results (you can write that to an output etc)

AngelosPachis_0-1629718896939.png

Output

AngelosPachis_2-1629718223901.png

Best,

Angelos

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Wow, this is really amazing. A new perspective to look into and explore 😀

Thank you for sharing @AngelosPachis it is a great learning 🙂

Labels