Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Add a recipient to the email tool in multiple workflows together

sjain71
7 - Meteor

We have about 80 workflows in production and about 60 workflows use Alteryx email tools to send out automatically emails. Some workflows may have multiple emails tools inside depending on different email subjects and recipients. We need to add a new employee to all the emails tools as a recipient in all workflows. If we do it manually one email tool or one workflow, it will take a lot of time to do it. Can someone help me to create a master workflow to automatically apply changes to all workflows? Or is there a better way to accomplish this?

5 REPLIES 5
marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @sjain71 

You can develop a master workflow reading this workflow as a flat file, find the email lists and update them. Later is just a matter to output back.

That will be way faster to update your lists. Another thing to consider is to create an email list in a single text input and append that list to all your email tools and use that field to send emails instead of type in each one.

sjain71
7 - Meteor

Hi @marcusblackhill ,

How do i read workflow as a flat file. Can you please help me that.

Thanks.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @sjain71 

One other thing to consider would be setting up various distribution lists for the workflows, that way it's just a matter of having the new person added to the distribution lists they need.

sjain71
7 - Meteor

@marcusblackhill  @Luke_C Can you please help me understand the solution again. I have never read workflow as a flat files. I have 100 workflows to update. Do you mean reading 100 workflows.

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @sjain71,

Sorry for the late message.

I attached here a few examples to you understand what I mentioned before, feel free to do the necessary tweks in the workflows to adjust to your reality.

You will find the "Workflow with emails", that case the email list is hard coded in the email tool. That workflow is one just to use as target to this example.

The "Workflow to find emails" will read this previous one as a flat file, I put the filters there just to you can see the changes if you want but it its the formula tool doing the magic here. After including the new email using the formula tool, that will be saved back (in this example I changed the original workflow name to don't overwrite but feel free to overwrite in your case).

The "adjusted_workflow" is the output the previous one will produce, an entirely new workflow with the list adjusted.

The formula tool will add the new email to all email tools in all workflows you have, to read multiple workflow just use a wildcard for the input and reconfigure the output to take the full file path of the source for the output path.

I hope that helps you 🙂

Labels