Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

A Find & Join combination - how to accomplish a complex join?

Glycogenolysis
6 - Meteoroid

Hi there community!

I have some financial data that I am trying to analyse, unfortunately I can't seem to find a way to combine the join and find replace tools in a way that will accomplish what I am trying to do. My current solution (see screenshot below) is very messy and manual whenever it needs to be updated.

My actual data I can't upload, but I have created a small sample dataset using different data to show what I am trying to achieve.

Data table; 

CityShop Name
BerlinKaufCentrum
BerlinMax Werk NER
BerlinEDEKA Markt
BerlinLIDL
LondonBilly Corner Store
LondonBorough Market
LondonTescos Supermarket
LondonLeasure Centre

Reference Table; 

CityText in Shop Name findShop Category
BerlinKaufGeneral
BerlinnerHardware
BerlinMarktSupermarket
BerlinSupermarketSupermarket
LondonSupermarketSupermarket
LondonMarkMarket
LondonCorner

Convinence

Desired Results Table ; 

CityShop NameShop Category
BerlinKaufCentrumGeneral
BerlinMax Werk NERHardware
BerlinEDEKA MarktSupermarket
BerlinLIDL-
LondonBilly Corner StoreConvinence
LondonBorough MarketMarket
LondonTescos SupermarketSupermarket
LondonLeasure Centre-

So what I want is to enrich the data table using my reference table, I want to use a join on the [City] to [City] and then simultaneously a findstring to match some amount of the [Shop Name] to the [Text in Shop Name find], returning the [Shop Category]. My actual data is ofcourse much much larger in scale and complexity than this so the solution needs to scale to ~100k Shop Names rows in the data table and ~1k [Text in Shop Name find] rows in the reference table.

The problems with my current approach is that I can either join on the City or do the findstring, but doing both at once I can't find a way, my current solution splits the data by city using 20+ filters so that I can then apply the findstring, but this is horrible to maintain.

There might be details I am missing out here, but I hope I have been clear in what I need to achieve, many thanks to anyone who helps 🙂

Glycogenolysis_0-1628526184243.png

13 REPLIES 13
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Glycogenolysis 

I only wanted to use this has last resort because it will create a lot of data. Check does the below workflow work for you.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1628615503792.png

Hope this helps : )

Glycogenolysis
6 - Meteoroid

@atcodedog05  I love it - just tested on my small sample data and got 200k rows back, only starting with 800 - will take me a little more to test the full dataset, it might be quite a few million rows but lets see if it works.

Glycogenolysis
6 - Meteoroid

Full data gives me 3mil just after the append with 1.3GB of data but my machine can just about handle it! Will have proper interrigation of the data tomorrow as it will take me a while to check it all works.

Thanks so much for your help @atcodedog05 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @Glycogenolysis 

Cheers and have a nice day!

Labels