Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.
SOLVED

Lab 3 bonus challenge

Michel_Dias
7 - Meteor

Hi, I have used a different notation using `{delim}` in the delimiter field and reached 14 different campsites, needing 13 delimiters in total. I checked the values of the biggest list and it looks plausible, can you please confirm if the correct is 13 or 11 delimiters?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Michel,

Great question! I'm assuming you're keeping the other fields, ie. splitting before `{alpha}`? I tried with just splitting on `{delim}` and I do see that there are more columns, but I think in this scenario, it's adding some extra splits where it probably doesn't need to. For example, it's splitting this NE Face into 2 campsites.

That being said, it's certainly possible that there are more than 11 splits as we haven't verified every row. That's the fun challenge when working with these manually recorded entries - you never know what pattern could make this even cleaner!

Michel_Dias
7 - Meteor

Hi Luo, thanks for the explanation! I was trying to find a way to correctly split the line 39 of the dataset, where I found a ";" separator between Smt and C3W, the only way it worked was using the following notation in separator and using 12 splits: `,|; ` - does it makes sense?

Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yup, that makes sense. It looks like the data was even dirtier than we originally thought. There are a few odd delimiters floating around in the rows and using the | separator to specify the explicit delimiters is a safe bet.