General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Python tool and R Tool

OTrieger
11 - Bolide

I recently saw several solutions that were suggested, all using Python tool.

While Python tool solutions are great, I think that using Python Tool and R Tool should be used only where you are facing a situation that is out of Alteryx scope while you need to handle it within your workflow. Python is very powerful and with Python everything that we do in Alteryx can be programed. However I do believe that the aim of Alteryx is to step away from programing or coding and provide a platform that anyone can use after a short learning, without the need to know programing.

Therefore I do believe that when you suggesting a solution on the community you first need to ask yourself if this can be done purely with Alteryx tools and if the answer is yes we should provide these solutions first.

Sharing a Python code with someone that do not know coding does not help that person, you might provide a solution for his problem, but the question is did you provide him a guidance so he could solve it.

While Python is a very versatile tool, somehow I feel that the people here would like to know how to know how to use Alteryx and not learn Python coding.

I do not think that all of the Alteryx users have background with Python, therefore if you would like to share a solution which is a Python code bear in mind that the person that rise the issue might not be able to use it.

1 REPLY 1
esther598
5 - Atom

Hello,

You make a very valid point about the importance of using Alteryx tools to their fullest potential before resorting to Python or R. Alteryx is designed to be user-friendly and accessible, allowing users to create powerful workflows without needing to code. This aligns with the goal of making data analytics more approachable for everyone.

When suggesting solutions, it’s indeed crucial to consider the user’s background and familiarity with coding. Providing a solution that leverages Alteryx tools can be more beneficial for users who may not have a programming background. It not only solves their immediate problem but also helps them learn and become more proficient with Alteryx.

For those who are comfortable with coding, Python and R can offer additional flexibility and power. However, as you mentioned, it’s important to ensure that the primary focus remains on using Alteryx tools whenever possible.

Best Regards

esther598

Labels