Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.

MetaInfo for custom tools with WinForms GUI

PetrT
Alteryx
Alteryx
Hello, does any body know how to add some MetaInfo stuff like (description, example) that will be visible in tool detail in tool palette? I know that its is pretty easy for tools with HTML GUI using ..Config.xml, but is there any other way how to do that for tools with WinForms UI (C++/C# engine) than direct input into DefaultSettings.xml? Thanks Petr
8 REPLIES 8
TashaA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Peter,

I'd like to understand more about what you are trying to modify to help you get the right answer! 

Is this for a custom tool that you are building? Could you take a screenshot of a tool and maybe circle what you are trying to modify or add to?

-Tasha

PetrT
Alteryx
Alteryx
Hi Tasha, yes I built my tool based on DotNetCustomTools.pdf. I would like to add tool description and example link like we have for example for Browse tool (in attachment). Thanks Petr
TashaA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @PetrT,

I think it would be useful to check out this solution posted by the insightful @jdunkerley79!

If building using .Net, you would want to add it to the defaultsettings xml file.

If you have intentions of sharing or distributing the tool you are building, I would definitely consider moving to the HTML GUI SDK with a macro or python for the back-end.

HTML Based Tools

Then you could leverage our yxi packaging and installer capabilities, and this method also supports all of the metadata that you would want to add (like a description for the toolbar.)

Hope this helps!

MichaelCh
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can use the HTML GUI SDK with a C++ backend tool or C# backend tool as well. In the Config.xml you set the EngineDll to be the name of the .dll with your code, and you set the EngineDllEntryPoint to be the name of the function that constructs your tool and returns it.

PetrT
Alteryx
Alteryx
Hi Michael, yes I know about that option, but I wanted to take advantage of calling engine methods from GUI. My tool performs a set of REST API calls and I like the option to create buttons in UI that will allow to call some methods manually eg. signIn. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with HTML GUI I have to implement these methods again for example in JavaScript.
PetrT
Alteryx
Alteryx
Hi @TashaA, thanks for answer. Yes Python also could be an option (but I'm not so familiar with it). Does the HTML GUI SDK implement method II_PushRecord? I didn't find it in any documentation nor in samples. Originaly I started with HTML GUI SDK, but I was facing performace issues when I processed records in II_PushRecords. Dataset larger than 200MB+ caused that workflow stuck forever before calling this method. That was why I decided to go with .NET SDK and its ability to process data record by record.
TashaA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@PetrT,

I do not believe that II_PushRecord is implemented. We are planning to have all of the functionality documented in the near future. 

I'd say one of the last options would be considering an HTML GUI config panel with a macro or C# runtime. 

-Tasha 

TashaA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I also realized I never included a link to the help site for packaging Alteryx tools with our .yxi format: 

Packaging Alteryx Tools

-Tasha