Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.
SOLVED

DotNet Plugin debug in Visual Studio

Chriszou
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I am new to Alteryx SDK and trying to develop a plugin using C# in Visual Studio. I was able to replicate the sample DotNetCustomTool following the attached instruction. However, I still not sure how to debug my plugin tool in Visual Studio. For example, I want to create a tool with input and output connections The tool's function is to manipulate data from input and output updated data to downstream tools. When I develop this tool in Visual Studio. How can I run the tool live in Visual Studio to test it before moving the dll file to Alteryx ? I tried to search for related documentation but no luck. Could you please share your experience ? 

Thank you very much for your help !  

5 REPLIES 5
Chriszou
8 - Asteroid

I also check the .NET API. It appears that the API only call a Alteryx module. It seems to me that I won't be able to use API to debug a specific plugin in Visual Studio. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

MichaelCh
Alteryx
Alteryx

After you follow the steps to add your plugin to Alteryx (i.e. you can add your plugin to an Alteryx workflow) you should be able to change the startup executable in your debug settings to AlteryxEngineCmd.exe with a workflow that uses your tool as a command-line argument (if you have the license for AlteryxEngineCmd.exe). If you do not have the license for AlteryxEngineCmd.exe, you can set the startup executable to AlteryxGui.exe and then open your workflow and run it from there. When the executable calls into your plugin, you should be able to hit break points in Visual Studio.

Chriszou
8 - Asteroid

Hi Michael, 

Thanks for your inputs. Super helpful. Problem solved ! Have a wonderful weekend ! 

MichaelCh
Alteryx
Alteryx

Were you able to try it? Did it work for you?

Enjoy your weekend as well!

Chriszou
8 - Asteroid

Hi Michael,

Yeah, I tried the first approach (it appears that I have license for the AlteryxEngineCmd.exe. I set up the Start External Program option like below screenshot. My project stops in the breakpoints as expected.  Again, thanks for your help. Hope this thread will help other developers as well. Thanks. 

5-4-2018 4-45-36 PM.jpg