Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.
SOLVED

Command line install of YXI files?

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

I did a little bit of searching for this, but I didn't really come up with much.

Is there a way to use a packaged .yxi tool and do a command line installation of that tool for many users?

I'm only just starting to explore the python and html sdks, but I want to make sure I have a good idea of an implementation plan/roadmap if this is successful.

I foresee cases where a custom tool is developed and we want to install it for 20+ users.  Rather than having each user manually open and install the file, and troubleshooting for each of them (which could also become challenging if we want to deploy an enhancement to a tool in the future), I'm hoping there is a way to complete this install action automatically for users.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This functionality does not yet exist - I'd suggest you add the idea, because it's a good one.

If the YXI in question is macro-based, it wouldn't be difficult to create a batch script to do this as we're simply unzipping the contents to either C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools (user) or C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools (all users). If the YXI is a Python tool, it would be trickier because you'd have to deal with creating a virtual environment and installing dependencies.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Added!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Add-command-line-installation-of-YXI-files/i...

I'm definitely considering this largely with relation to Python SDK tools - I think that there are a few methods for effective Macro deployment available today.

Thanks!

PetrT
Alteryx
Alteryx

I just would like to share "how to instal Python tool manually" from @William Thompson

1. Unzip file contents (including any subfolders) to target directory.

a. The target directory will depend on whether the install is running elevated or not, c:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools is the elevated user root and c:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools is for non-elevated user root.

2. Run Python to install a virtual environment in the tool path.

a. C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda\Python.exe -m venv %TOOL_INSTALL_PATH%

3. Upgrade pip and setuptools in tools virtual environment.

a. %TOOL_INSTALL_PATH%\Scripts\python.exe -m pip install –upgrade pip setuptools

4. Install tool dependencies.

a. %TOOL_INSTALL_PATH%\Scripts\pip install -r requirements.txt –log PythonDependencyInstall.log